Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Two Deep Thoughts: A (sort of) Book Review


I wrote in my journal today for the first time since October. I wrote about two things I have been thinking about a lot the last few days. One being how great my man is.

On Saturday night he went to a movie with his brother, and I stayed home and had a 2 hour bath. I had to stop and refill the tub multiple times cause I like my baths real hot. While soaking, I read Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson. I got tired and decided to get out and go to bed before I nodded off and dropped my book in the water. But once I got out and the cool air refreshed me, I just kept reading cause I was only a few chapters away and it was just so good!

I finished my book. The girl finally got her dream guy after denying her love for him, realizing she loved him after all, being kidnapped, and having her missing father return from a year hiatus (among other plots twists, naturally). Typically at the end of these books I get all depressed and wish my life could be a fairy tale like that. But this time, I didn't.

Well, initially I did, but only for a split second. I examined the aspects of their relationship that I was jealous of. Philip (the dreamy prince) constantly compliments Marianne (the plain but beautiful damsel). He goes out of his way to make her happy, flatters her, enjoys the same activities as her and enjoys doing them with her. It quickly dawned on me that, DUH, you have the exact same thing, except better because it is REAL LIFE.

So this book can go two ways- it can make you want to wallow in self pity, whine that your significant other isn't good enough, eat a pint of Ben and Jerry's and watch the Notebook (or in my case Elizabethtown) alone in your bedroom over and over and not get out of your pajamas for a week...
OR you (single and taken!) can rejoice in the person you have been blessed with. You can find one good thing that person has done for you today. And if you have not yet been blessed with someone to share your life with, you can learn ways to treat yourself like a queen so that someone will know you are deserving of being treated like one. And when they come along, they will treat you as such. Because you have to love yourself first before you can fully love someone else.

And that, my friends, is how to write a scattered, mumbo-jumbo, all-your-thoughts-come-together-in-a-tornado-of-brain-mush 'book review.'
.

1 comment:

  1. I Love It!!!!!!
    I read that book too, and now I'm going to reread it and thank my Heavenly Father for such a wonderful life.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete